Volunteer Relations CoordinatorDenver, CO
About Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado
Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado (VOC) is a leading statewide nonprofit organization dedicated to motivating and enabling people to become active stewards of Colorado’s natural resources. Colorado’s outdoor resources contribute greatly to our health, happiness and state economy, but they also face ongoing stresses and require care and stewardship to ensure long-term sustainability. Leveraging our 37 years of experience in outdoor stewardship volunteerism, we engage 5,000 volunteers in hands-on stewardship work each year. We also help other groups develop and grow effective volunteer programs to meet Colorado’s growing stewardship needs. Finally, we foster statewide, cross-industry collaboration to encourage a unified approach to caring for Colorado.
The Volunteer Relations Coordinator reports to the Senior Marketing and Communications Manager. This is a non-exempt, full-time position that is responsible for engaging with the public to promote and strengthen VOC’s outdoor stewardship field programs. This includes working closely with the VOC Project Team to recruit and retain volunteers, trainees, and other field program participants, and requires active day-to-day management of project rosters (including waitlists and cancellations) and regularly assisting VOC staff and program participants with registration needs. A large part of this role entails managing customer service requests through phone and email interactions with program participants.
This is a position with the opportunity to learn about nonprofit volunteer engagement and management in a well-established charitable organization. This position will start in late July/early August 2021.
The following competencies are expected from all staff members at VOC:
- Communication: effective and timely communication, both orally and written
- Teamwork: works well with others, contributes to a positive team environment
- Service: provides exceptional service to customers, partners, volunteers, and donors
- Leadership: demonstrates leadership and decision-making abilities in the organization
- Initiative: assesses and initiates things independently and to help improve the organization
- Accountability: reliable and inspires trust in others
Program Coordination (Day-to-Day)
- Respond timely and effectively to all volunteer and trainee inquiries during the work week within 24 hours
- Assist volunteers and trainees in resolving registration issues, whether they need technological assistance or have other program related questions
- Manage program waitlists, group registration requests, and carpooling options
- Oversee program-related volunteer and trainee communications, including pre- and post-project emails, automated communications, and post-project surveys
- Support project season scheduling process by working with project selection team
Volunteer & Trainee Engagement (Community-Building)
- Continuously seek to improve and deepen volunteer and trainee experiences
- Analyze and report to full VOC team about volunteer/trainee experience, survey results, and participation data
- Coordinate annual volunteer recruitment, retention, and recognition events including Volunteer Awards & Appreciation Night, New Leader Night, and the Volunteer Leader Potluck
- Oversee the content creation and dissemination of the Leadership Ledger e-newsletter, sent to all Volunteer Leaders
- Assist in coordinating volunteer Leadership Development Advisory Committee (LDAC) meetings
- Develop and implement volunteer and trainee recognition and community building initiatives
- Develop and implement an annual volunteer and trainee retention plan to meet organizational goals
Recruitment, Outreach and Marketing
- Actively recruit for VOC projects, programs, and training opportunities with target groups, including conducting direct outreach through in-person, electronic and other communications
- Represent VOC at community outreach events and build relationships with relevant community, user, and affinity groups
- Assist with social media management, including sharing program promotions and project photos
- Assist Senior Marketing & Communications Manager with program-related marketing efforts such as creating flyers, strategic distribution of project calendars, improving outreach table materials, and other tasks as needed
- Assist with content creation of all other electronic communications related to volunteer relations
This position may perform other related duties as required to support and strengthen the mission and purpose of VOC.
Attendance at occasional evening and weekend events, with some travel, is required
Education and Previous Experience
- Strong interest in volunteerism, conservation, and/or environmental issues
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to effectively handle high volume of phone calls and email correspondences
- Goal-oriented individual with proven ability to meet deadlines and work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to get along with diverse individuals
- Demonstrated attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Strong analytical and reasoning skills
- Team player who thrives in fast-paced work environments and enjoys collaborative work projects
- Experience with databases and technology preferred
Job duties include a general office environment, spent sitting and operating a computer and other office machinery. Must be able to read, write, and communicate fluently in English. Starting July 2021, VOC employees will work in the Denver office Tuesday through Thursday with the opportunity to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays. This policy is subject to change.
The hiring range for this position is $16 - $19 per hour depending on experience. VOC offers a competitive total rewards package of compensation and benefits, including 100% employer paid health insurance, up to a 4% match on a 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation and sick time, and more. This is a non-exempt position.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter and resume, with confirmation that the stated salary range is feasible, to firstname.lastname@example.org (if possible, as a single PDF) and include “Volunteer Relations Coordinator” in the subject line.
No Phone Calls. Applications must be received by midnight Wednesday, June 23, 2021.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!