Entry-level Environmental ScientistRaleigh, NC
VHB’s Natural Sciences Team in Raleigh, NC is seeking an Entry-level Full-Time Environmental Scientist to support our existing team.
WE ARE VHB—a passionate team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers tackling exciting challenges in the transportation, real estate, institutional, applied technology, and energy industries—serving a range of public- and private-sector clients. At VHB, we are dedicated to improving mobility, enhancing communities, and balancing development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship.
- We are creative problem-solvers
- We work hard, and we give back
- We like our colleagues, and we love Mondays (really)
- We are diverse, caring, welcoming, and fun!
VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing, and we hope you’ll join us!
About the Position
Entry-level Environmental Scientist | Raleigh, NC
- Key responsibilities will include conducting natural resources field surveys and assisting in the preparation of technical reports.
- Tasks include stream, wetland, and buffer delineations, floristic inventories and monitoring, rare, threatened, and endangered species surveys, and completing permitting applications for environmental compliance.
- Other tasks will include preparation of data forms, photo logs, memoranda, and summary reports, and supporting documentation for federal, state, and local environmental permit applications.
- All tasks will be performed under the guidance of our experienced scientists.
- This is a full-time position Monday through Friday from 9a-6p subject to change based on the needs of the company.
- Assists with natural resource studies (e.g. stream, wetland, and buffer delineations and functional assessments, wildlife habitat evaluations, and rare species surveys). Field duties will include GPS data collection, habitat mapping, vegetation monitoring, wildlife surveys and other field assessments, as needed.
- Assists in the collection and analysis of data (e.g. samples, reports, maps, drawings, tests, aerial photographs, evaluation, plan, and permit projects). Using prescribed methods, performs field observations and gathers environmental data samples.
- Assists project managers with development of federal, state, and local permit support documents.
- GIS mapping and data analysis.
- Assists with construction oversight and permit compliance monitoring, as needed.
- Writes routine technical reports. Drafts notes, correspondence, and memoranda.
- Performs all job functions in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local regulations and company policies and procedures.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to travel on short notice, at night, and/or on weekend shifts, and potentially for extended periods of time.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team in an office setting, remote field locations, and/or in challenging weather conditions.
- Highly organized
- Proficiency with ESRI GIS programs and all programs associated with Microsoft Office.
- Desired experience with mobile data collection including Trimble GPS products and software, knowledge of plants and wildlife throughout the southeastern US.
- Aptitude for learning on the job.
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to grow professionally.
- Ability to think critically and solve problems.
- Strong communication skills.
- Completed a Bachelor (B.S.) program in biology, environmental science, or a closely related major.
- 0 – 2 years of experience in applied research and/or an environmental consulting environment.
- Experience in plant species identification and soil characterization is required.
- Ability to identify and describe wildlife, habitats, and ecological communities is required.
- Knowledge of the state and federal wetland regulations, land use environmental regulations and environmental permitting is required.
This position will work out of VHB’s office in Raleigh and will require the ability to travel to remote locations for extended periods of time. Salary will be commensurate with the applicant’s knowledge and experience. Work may exceed 40 hours and/or five days per week.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit applications online and email updated resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status age, or any other federally protected class.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!