Trails SpecialistHouston, TX
The Trails Specialist is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and safety of Memorial Park’s trails and pathways at the direction of the Maintenance Foreman. The Trails Specialist will be responsible for maintaining the 25+ miles of trails in Memorial Park, including the popular Seymour Lieberman Exer-Trail and multiuse natural surface trails. The Trails Specialist will work interactively with multiple Memorial Park Conservancy (MPC) departments, volunteers, contractors, and user organizations.
- Schedule and perform trail maintenance.
- Determine trail opening and closing based on weather conditions.
- Communicate trail conditions and status to MPC staff for public communication.
- Monitor unofficial trails and maintain trail signage.
- Operate equipment including UTV’s, weedeater and stick edger, blower, and roller compactor.
- Interact with Park patrons in a professional manner – provide accurate and pertinent information regarding the Memorial Park Conservancy and the Park.
- Keep inventory and perform maintenance on tools and supplies assigned to field operations.
- Regularly work closely with other staff, volunteers and Houston Parks and Recreation Department staff.
- Inspect, recognize and report safety issues.
- Follow MPC rules, safety policies and procedures and appropriate use of personal protective equipment.
- Perform basic carpentry repairs to bridges, ramps, and boardwalks.
- Navigation of Park with large truck and trailer and other equipment, as needed.
- Serve as liaison to trail user organizations.
- 2 years or more of natural surface trail maintenance and/or building experience.
- Highly organized and schedule oriented.
- 1 year or more of customer service experience.
- Ability to work in strenuous and variable Texas weather conditions.
- Ability to make decisions and problem solve in real time.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse groups and personalities.
- Proven ability to show up on time and work well without direct supervision.
- Ability to communicate with the public in a tactful and pleasant way.
- Ability to work weekends and afternoon/evenings.
- Confident working alone.
- High school graduation or equivalency.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Outlook or ability to learn.
- “All hands-on deck” approach.
- Familiar with Leave No Trace Principles.
- Familiar with GIS systems.
Compensation: This is an hourly non-exempt role with a pay range of $16 – $18/hour. MPC offers full medical, dental, and vision benefits, paid time off, short and long -term disability, and 401K retirement plan.
Please send resume to email@example.com