GIS Program ManagerTallahasee (Currently Remote) FL
The Florida Trail Association (FTA) in direct partnership with the USDA Forest Service (USFS) is seeking a full-time employee to lead the development and implementation of the Geospatial Program for the FTA and the USFS in support of the Florida National Scenic Trail (FNST). The GIS Program Manager will conduct recreation and conservation-related spatial data development and analysis as well as prepare reports and data products requested by government agencies, private consultants, and the public.
This position works under day-to-day management of the USFS Florida Trail Administrator, who establishes goals, overall objectives, priorities, and deadlines in partnership with the FTA Trail Program Director. This position requires a high-degree of self-motivation, time management, and creative problem solving, often having wide-latitude to develop and implement GIS solutions that meet strategic objectives and goals. The position works independently and as a member of interdisciplinary teams to solve technical problems related to conservation and planning.
Examples of Job Duties
- Develop and implement GIS solutions for identified long and short-term strategic goals for the FNST Program that integrates with other program areas beyond GIS.
- Conduct GIS analysis of raster and vector data applied to recreation and conservation including species habitat, natural communities, planning, and land use/land cover.
- Coordinate and develop geospatial information requirements with other program specialists, managers, collaborators, and partners.
- Prepare professional-level maps, reports, tables, and data files for internal and external request andprojects.
- Inspect and edit geospatial data to ensure compliance with applicable specifications for inclusion of the data into a corporate database. Enterprise data editing in an SDE/Relational DB environment.
- Develop, maintain, and quality control GIS products and metadata.
- Acquisition, organization, and maintenance of spatial base data and databases.
- Provide GIS technical support and training to staff, volunteers, and collaborative partners.
- Occasional travel to FTA volunteer and chapter events (all mileage, food and lodging expenses reimbursed).
- Participate in regional and national working groups that focus on GIS and National Trail System work.
- Administer the FNST program’s web-GIS component. This includes managing and publishing public-facing data & map products, creating project focused dashboards and management tools for internal usage, and overseeing field data collection efforts by staff and volunteers in addition to other tasks.
- Create technical documentation and standard operating procedures related to GIS tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree with emphasis in geospatial science or technology.
- 2+ years of related work experience.
- Demonstrated experience in spatial data creation, quality control, management, and analysis.
- Interest and ability to contribute to program areas beyond GIS such as trail projects and information awareness campaigns.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office and ESRI ArcGIS software suites, including ArcGIS Online, StoryMaps, ArcPro/Desktop, and mobile applications.
- Strong cartographic design skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and manage multiple responsibilities and tasks.
- Demonstrated experience solving complex technical and GIS-related problems.
- Ability to work remotely and independently.
- Ability to conduct field work and collect data in potential harsh environmental setting (Florida).
- Basic knowledge of principles, concepts, and theories of resource management sciences (e.g. forestry, hydrology, wildlife, soils, recreation, geography, cartography, remote sensing).
- Course work in environmental-related fields.
- Familiarity with the FNST and the National Trails System.
- Experience and knowledge working with data in an Enterprise Geodatabase (SDE), relational database system, and Citrix Environment.
- Experience administrating ESRI organizational accounts and determine software needs.
- Experience with website design, maintenance, and HTML/CSS.
- Knowledge of datasets and/or data sources available related to the State of Florida (environmental, infrastructure, imagery).
- Experience with land use planning in a conservation related setting.
- Experience with graphic design and associated software (ex. Adobe Suite).
- $45,139/year salary with opportunities for yearly raises based on performance.
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave.
- Health insurance, dental insurance and retirement benefits.
- Yearly budget set aside for professional development.
The Florida Trail Association builds, maintains, protects, and promotes the unique Florida National Scenic Trail, along with a network of hiking trails throughout the state of Florida. Together with our partners, the Association provides opportunities for the public to contribute to meaningful volunteer work, engage in outdoor recreation, and participate in environmental education.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a cover letter and resume in PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line: “GIS Program Manager Application”. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted until the position is filled.
The FTA is an equal employment opportunity employer. We seek a diverse pool of candidates and believe that our organization benefits from the perspectives and talents of a diverse staff.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!