Sr. Communications ManagerBrooklyn, NY
Rainforest Foundation US (RFUS) is recruiting a highly accomplished Senior Communications Manager to lead the organization’s overall communications portfolio. This position strives for excellence in presenting the best face of the organization, establishing a recognized identity, and improving brand awareness. The position aims to increase the visibility of community-based solutions and achievements in order to influence broader agendas around climate change, forest protection and restoration, human rights, and biodiversity conservation. The role is also responsible for building a more committed and engaged base of support to drive revenue for the organization and its partners.
The position plays an essential function of overseeing the implementation of the organization’s communication strategy, setting the bar as to the treatment of the organization’s identity and brand, and managing the team to achieve timely and professional delivery of communications products.
RFUS is set to significantly increase its impact in the coming years and the communications department has a key role to play in ensuring key audiences are informed of our accomplishments and ambitions, and inspired to join us in scaling up community-based solutions to the climate crisis. This is an exciting opportunity to manage a growing team to produce measurable impact in the years to come.
The candidate best suited for this role is a seasoned professional with well rounded experience managing the implementation of a range of communications workstreams, from press and branding to social media and digital marketing, with measurable success. The candidate will possess a meticulous attention to detail and technical fluency to achieve desired results. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to balance strategic direction with hands-on management that leverages the team’s talent and skills, raises the team’s performance, and fosters team members’ professional development.
The role reports to the Director of Strategic Impact and will oversee and manage three staff persons as well as the work of external communications contractors.
- Leads the organization’s overall communications strategy and manages the creative direction for its implementation
- Stays informed of scientific, political, and programmatic developments in the field and how to leverage the latest communications and campaign tactics, narratives, formats, and design to appeal most to target audiences
- Signs off on all final communications products, providing content approval for general audience communications and ensuring quality and consistency in the organization’s high level messaging, voice and brand treatment
- Leads the development of the organization’s press strategy and leads engagement with journalists, and public relations and news agencies to pitch stories and op-eds, coordinate site visits of journalists, and manage the organization’s media list
- Identifies priorities and targets for annual communications work plan and regularly monitors progress to ensure completion of deliverables and to meet urgent/emerging needs; works with M&E specialist to ensure metrics are collected in an appropriate and timely manner
- Ensures annual communications work plan is staffed and operationalized adequately to achieve desired outcomes and timeframes, keeping an eye to identify and fill functional gapsLiaises with staff to ensure roles and responsibilities are clearly defined
- Advises on and signs off on individual staff work plans
- Tracks progress on individual staff work plans, meeting biannually or quarterly or as needed, to assess and agree on adjustments needed to achieve desired performance
- Manages day-to-day workflow by leading meetings to achieve goals, identifying and assigning tasks, and following up on next steps
- Ensures proper allocation and accountability of tasks among individual staff members, intervening as needed to clarify responsibilities or expectations
- Strives to ensure staff are inspired, challenged and satisfied in their individual work and performance and that inter-staff relations are constructive and productive
- Evaluates annual department performance, assessing challenges, lessons learned, best practices, and leads integration of learning for improved performance in the coming year
- Maintains all staff abreast of the communications department’s editorial calendar and workflow; identifies and develops systems to optimize inter- and intra-department collaboration
- Foresees and tackles opportunities to streamline efficiency in operations, such as identifying communication requests for staff site visits, etc.
- Develops and oversees department-level policies, protocols, and standards, including written and visual stylistic guidelines, to strengthen the work of the communications team over time
- Defines and oversees annual budget, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Director of Strategic Impact
At least 8 years’ experience in marketing, public relations and/or communications, half of which should be in a management capacity
Proven success in identifying and implementing strategies to meet multiple programmatic and fundraising goals as well as analyzing key performance indicators to improve effectiveness and strengthen results
Demonstrate superior writing skills and experience providing thoughtful editorial direction, preferably involving translating scientific data for lay audiences, including for fundraising purposes
Proven success in overseeing the development of a range of communications collateral, including websites, newsletters, videos, press materials, and social content, ensuring consistent written and visual organizational standards
Experience with outreach to influencers, the media, and sector specialists to increase the exposure of an organization’s work
Familiarity with the range of technical tools and applications to deliver quality communications outputs
Experience developing and implementing department-level policies and protocols
Possess highly attuned interpersonal skills and experience working constructively across teams to manage multiple priorities on short deadlines
Full professional proficiency in English is required
Professional working proficiency in either Spanish or Portuguese is a strong advantage
Compensation for this position is commensurate with experience. Full time employees (40+ hours a week) are entitled to full health, vision, and dental insurance as well as 20 days per year of vacation leave, closed offices from Christmas to New Year’s Day (inclusive) plus the 10 additional federal holidays. Beyond this, employees are entitled to 10 days per year of sick leave, 2 days per year of personal days, 3 days for bereavement leave per event, up to 12 weeks of parental leave, and accommodations for additional time off under extraordinary circumstances. For this role, nights or weekends will not be expected except possibly during work-related travel, in which case compensatory time will be accrued.
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study the job description and reflect in the cover letter how your work and experience helps you meet the requirements and skills we are looking for. Applications will not be considered without the submission of a cover letter and a resume. Providing a link to a portfolio of past work is an advantage.
Please send full application to firstname.lastname@example.org using subject line: “POSITION TITLE – YOUR NAME”
Any position-related questions may also be directed to this email address. Please note that the position will be listed as open until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early. Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
The candidate must possess the legal requirements to work in the United States; Rainforest Foundation US will not sponsor visas for international candidates.
Black, indigenous and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Rainforest Foundation US does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Rainforest Foundation US is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!