We will consider applications as they are submitted and encourage interested contractors to reach out by April 30, 2021. The posting will remain open until filled.
Stand.earth is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate upon which we depend. Stand’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 2000, we’ve secured the protection of 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and transformed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted by environmental pollution and climate change, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Pollution, climate change, and corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ people. To develop transformative solutions, these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Contract Position
Working with Stand.earth’s Communications Manager, the Climate Finance Communications Contractor will support strategic messaging development and media outreach for Stand’s Climate Finance campaign. The position will provide communications support to Stand.earth staff, as well as partners working in coalition with Stand on this campaign in the USA and Canada. The objectives of Stand’s Climate Finance campaign are to move pension funds and banks to stop financing fossil fuels and accelerate investments in climate solutions while building a diverse and broad multiracial and multigenerational climate movement.
This campaign provides a rare opportunity for contractors who live anywhere in Canada or the USA, to contribute part-time, and who have an interest in grassroots campaigning with a global impact. This is a great opportunity to support a dynamic, thriving environmental organization as it builds out a new Climate Finance campaign.
This is a contract position up to 20 hours per week for up to three months, with the potential for extension. The hourly rate is $30.00 to $40.00 USD per hour. We are looking for a contractor who can start right away.
● Drafting communications materials such as media advisories, press releases, op-eds, web content and blogs
● Crafting strategic messaging documents such as backgrounders and talking points
● Pitching stories about the Climate Finance campaign to local, regional, and national media
● Monitoring relevant climate and energy news and identifying opportunities to tell a broader story that connects the news to the Climate Finance
● Providing support for virtual events such as press conferences and webinars, and other activities
● Working with partner organizations to develop media plans and stories
● Monitoring campaign media coverage, identifying opportunities and developing and managing relationships with key reporters
Qualified contractors will possess the following skills and experience:
● A go get them approach to identifying media opportunities and seizing them
● Familiarity with climate campaigns that holding financial institutions accountable for their ongoing financing of fossil fuels
● Familiarity with local media outlets in major cities across Canada and the USA, as well as familiarity with progressive, business, climate and energy media outlets in both countries
● Experience using a press dissemination platform such as Cision or Meltwater
● Experience working in nonprofit communications with a focus on environmental justice and supporting frontline communities
● Top-notch writing and editing skills across a variety of platforms and for a variety of audiences
● Ability to prioritize tasks and kindly say no to things that are out of the scope of your work
● Graphic design and social media experience is preferred, but not required
To Express Interest
Please send your resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line and on each attachment. Please include the following:
● 3 writing samples of your past work (such as press releases or op-eds),
● Links to 3 articles you have helped land in local or national media outlets,
● What motivated you to apply for this contract, and
● What skills or expertise you have that will be most important in this role.
No phone calls, please. Only those moving forward will be contacted.