We are hiring a Senior Climate Finance Campaigner in Canada to take on a key role in shifting the flow of money away from fossil fuel companies and into just and equitable climate solutions. Joining a highly-collaborative team of campaigners, the new role would contribute to Stand’s rapidly expanding Climate Finance programme.
If you are passionate about putting pressure on financial institutions that are bankrolling fossil fuels, this may be the perfect job for you.
We encourage applicants to apply by October 15, 2021. This position is open until filled.
Stand.earth is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate upon which we depend. Stand’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 2000, we’ve secured agreements to protect 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and transformed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted by environmental pollution and climate change, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Pollution, climate change, and corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ people. To develop transformative solutions, these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reporting to the Climate Finance Director, this Senior Climate Finance Campaigner position is responsible for implementing our climate finance campaign strategy in Canada, including our focused work on Canadian banks and other financial institutions.
This position is responsible for driving and implementing campaign strategy, communicating through traditional and digital channels with key audiences, coordinating with allies and partners and movement building with frontline community organizations.
This position will work closely with our communication and digital teams, and must have a strong interest and commitment to Stand.earth’s values including our work to decolonize and furthering our Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion programme and organizational goals.
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience and adjusted based on location, but will likely be within the range of $75,000 to $90,000 CAD. Stand offers an excellent package of employee and health benefits. The location for this position is for the time being fully remote in Canada. The role may shift to one of our Canadian hub offices in the future.
● Coordinate, along with the rest of the Stand.earth team, our campaign to expose Canadian banks’ significant investments in fossil fuel companies, mobilizing people power to drive action by the banks including divestment and reinvestment in climate solutions
● Build effective local leadership through multiracial and multigenerational coalition building with partners, communities and funders
● Manage relationships with partner organizations and coordinate relevant and complementary activities and tactics across Canada
● Serve as one of Stand.earth’s spokespeople on the Climate Finance campaign in Canada for media and contribute to the development of campaign communications strategies and supporting materials
● Contribute to the development of online and offline organizing tactics that support and achieve the campaign’s goals and objectives, including the recruitment of supporters online and offline
● Develop communications that engage our online community, build our base and get noticed in the media
● 5-7 years experience designing, working on and leading environmental and/or social justice campaigns
● Experience with multiracial movement building, including supporting BIPOC-lead organizing and centering Indigenous and other frontline communities in campaigns
● Demonstrated success strategizing and leading online and offline campaigning and people powered mobilizing strategies and tactics
● Experience with stakeholder management and developing strong relationships with partner organisations
● Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time and within budget
● Highly organized, flexible, creative, able to prioritize multiple tasks, and able to thrive in a fast-paced and ever changing environment
● Independent, driven, and self-motivated
● Digital and media savvy – familiar enough with the Canadian climate and corporate campaigning landscape to identify rapid response opportunities and propose smart digital and media tactics to respond to these moments
Desired, but not required
● French / English bilingual
● Experience leading fossil fuel divestment or finance campaigns or corporate campaigns with financial strategies
● Have a clear understanding of the drivers of climate change and the financial systems that enable fossil fuel companies
● Basic material production (graphics and/or video) for social media
● Experience with Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion training
● Experience working with and lobbying elected officials
● Expertise building and executing national or international level strategic campaigns
● Keen eye-on-the-prize attitude, always scanning for opportunities and the path to movement building and winning
● Enthusiasm and passion for campaigning
● Passion for working with a dynamic team in a rapid response environment
● Self-awareness, confidence and creativity
● Maturity of judgment and operating talent to achieve credibility and influence with senior management, board members, colleagues and peer organizations
● Committed to the values of equity, authentic communication and collaboration
Please send a 1-page cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line and on the file name of each attachment. In your cover letter, tell us what’s motivating you to apply for this role, what your corporate or climate campaigning experience is, and which of the ‘nice to have’ qualifications you’ve got (we certainly don’t expect you to have them all!) Please also make sure to let us know how you heard about this position. The recruitment and interview process includes a time-bound anonymous skills assessment and two rounds of interviews. No phone calls, please. Only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.