Environmental Engineering - EITRichmond, VA
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
As a Civil / Environmental Engineer you will work with close guidance and supervision on tasks and smaller projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a senior engineer/designer, you will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification of engineering principles to select the best plan involving the collaboration with multiple stakeholders and expertise within the company. You will assist in verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Works with other engineering disciplines and professionals in the coordination of the project under the direction of a senior engineer/ designer.
- Performs field work as directed by a senior engineer/ designer.
- Assists with basic engineering duties on projects of various complexity.
- Perform hydrologic and hydraulic modeling.
- Assist in stormwater master planning at a basin or community scale.
- Assist in floodplain evaluations, including modeling and permit support.
- Assist in stream restoration design.
- Assist in the design and analysis of stormwater management facilities.
- Provide field support for water quality studies, watershed walkovers, stream assessments, and other projects.
- Assist in studies and assessments on dams and lakes.
- Assist in civil site design and planning efforts.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by management.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of civil and environmental engineering concepts and techniques.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Positive attitude and desire to learn, grow, and succeed.
- Knowledge of stormwater planning and engineering.
- Knowledge of hydraulics and hydrology analysis and modeling.
- Knowledge of gradually varied flow calculations and modeling.
- Knowledge of GIS mapping and analysis and AutoCAD drafting and standards.
- Technical writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to help with schematic, conceptual, and final designs and construction plan preparation.
- Ability to use hydrology and hydraulics software (e.g. HEC-RAS, SWMM, and/or Pond Pack) and Microsoft Office software
- Ability to perform moderate field work and walk 2-4 miles per day in rough terrain.
- Must have the ability to work in the field for long hours in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work in a highly automated design office environment.
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner, both in writing and in person, with clients, employees and visitors.
- Ability to prepare reports and conduct studies.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s or master’s degree (minimum) in Civil, Water Resources, Biological Systems, Environmental Engineering, or other similar degree is required. Minimum of 0-2 years of experience. Co-op/Internship experience preferred.
- Course work in hydraulics and hydrology required.
- Course work in GIS, AutoCAD, water quality treatment, and related subjects preferred.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification required, or ability to obtain within six (6) months of employment.
Typical office environment working with computers mixed with field work, which may include light lifting and exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best with technical skills for the planning, design, and management of environmental and industrial projects.