SOLID WASTE CONTRACT SPECIALISTAnn Arbor, MI
Duties are performed under the direct supervision of the Resource Recovery Manager and may include the following:
- Develop, implement, oversee, and monitor the City’s solid waste contracts. Write and review Requests for Proposals (RFPs), oversee contractor selection negotiate and execute contracts and perform overall contract management
- Responsible for reviewing and approving contractor invoices and monitoring ongoing contract performance.
- Oversee and monitor solid waste contract implementation needs including but not limited to the Commercial Franchise Collection, Recycling Collection, Materials Recovery Facility, Transfer Station, Drop-Off Station and Compost Facility.
- Implement, interpret, and update (as needed) City’s solid waste codes and regulations. Duties include, but are not limited to, answering stakeholder questions about code and regulations, writing proposed revisions, coordinating with the City’s Attorney’s office on revisions and interpretations, and presenting to City Council for approval and adoption.
- Review site plan submittals for compliance with solid waste codes and regulations.
- Coordinate with key internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to the City planning department, engineers, and other staff during the site plan process.
- Follow-up on customer service requests for solid waste issues that have been escalated or directly initiated from the public.
- Collect solid waste data and metrics, and lead efforts to compile and analyze solid waste data for reporting and identification of trends.
- Coordinate tasks with Solid Waste Program and Outreach Specialist.
- Coordinate with operations staff
- Assist operations staff in managing container inventory including procurement and field placement.
- Represent the City’s solid waste program in written communication and oral presentations to key stakeholders, including City Council, local sustainability advisory bodies, business leaders, and regional and state solid waste networks
- Attend City Council meetings, as needed
- Assist with the update of the Solid Waste Resource Management Plan every 5 years
- Support special event planning and implementation, including but not limited to annual student move in/move out and seasonal compost and leaf collection
- Support scale operations through data reconciliation, reporting and invoice preparation
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Knowledge of: (position requirements at entry)
- State and federal solid waste regulations
- Outstanding customer service principles and practices
- Project management skills, particularly in writing and managing contracts and managing contractors
- Computer and software applications used in business settings (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets, and databases)
- General office management and procedures
- Interpret, explain and administer laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Principles and practices of solid waste, recycling, compost and organics
Skills and Ability to:(position requirements at entry)
- Communicate clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Set priorities, coordinate multiple projects, and meet critical deadlines
- Demonstrate excellent customer service techniques
- Problem solve and demonstrate decision making capabilities
- Tailor communication and training to audience
- Work independently and in a team environment
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and customers
- Comprehend and follow City ordinances and policies
- Be innovative and resourceful
- Use computers and related software including word-processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, and email
Education, Training and Experience (position requirements at entry)
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, business administration, public administration, engineering, or a related field
- At least 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in developing and implementing solid waste and/or recycling programs contract, program, and project management
- The City of Ann Arbor, at its discretion, may consider an alternative combination of formal education and work experience.
APPLY ONLINE: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CIT1009CA2/JobBoard/f90d5294-f62d-4de2-9878-31193309121c/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=62d08a2e-1a6d-4fd8-9043-025df713261c
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!