Legal AssistantWashington, DC
Full-Time Legal Assistant
The Environmental Integrity Project is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to advance environmental protections under federal and state environmental laws in its Washington, DC office. The Legal Assistant will support EIP’s attorneys with case development, administrative filings, and litigation. EIP advocates for environmental protection and public health through legal, research, and communication strategies. The Legal Assistant will work with our attorneys on both litigation tasks (for example court filings) and also on non-litigation tasks (for example, research and data analysis).
The Legal Assistant will be expected to:
- Proofread, edit, check facts and legal citations
- Format legal filings, including preparation of tables of authority, tables of contents, and exhibits, ensuring all court rules are met
- Compile, organize, and track discovery, docket filings, and other relevant case documents
- File and serve legal documents as required, whether electronically, by mail, or in person
- Help prepare for and assist attorneys during depositions, hearings, trials, oral arguments, and presentations, as needed
- Calculate and track court deadlines
- Assist with case development, including but not limited to: drafting, submitting, and tracking public information requests; reviewing documents; gathering, compiling, and analyzing facility-level data; and conducting compliance audits
- Assist in the preparation of public reports and whitepapers
- Travel as needed
- Other tasks as assigned
- Work in the DC area; ability to head into the DC office and travel to local DC and Maryland courthouses to handle any necessary mailing, printing, and filing tasks as they arise.
- Detail-oriented, exceptionally well-organized, able to multitask and manage competing priorities with internal and external deadlines, proactive, and a quick and independent learner.
- Well-versed in using Windows PCs, the internet and web browsers, Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, Power Point, and Excel).
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and ability to work well under pressure.
- A four-year undergraduate degree in political science, public policy, pre-law, environmental studies, English, history, sociology, or a related field is preferred.
- Previous legal support or paralegal experience is a plus but not required. Previous nonprofit or government experience is also a plus.
The ideal addition to our team will be driven, inquisitive, and passionate about environmental protection.
Compensation/Hours: This position is for full-time employment. Pay commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401K eligibility, a competitive nonprofit salary, a generous vacation and sick leave policy, and a friendly, supportive work environment.
To Apply: Please submit PDF copies of the following materials to Sylvia Lam at email@example.com and include your last name and “Legal Assistant Application” in the email subject line:
- a cover letter
- a list of three references
- school transcript (unofficial is sufficient) for those with less than two years of relevant post-college work experience
If you are selected for an interview, our hiring team may ask you to submit a short writing sample or complete a brief editing or written exercise.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!