Energy Market Policy Analyst or Senior AnalystBoulder, CO
Western Resource Advocates (WRA) is seeking a passionate and analytical Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst to develop and advocate for policies that promote the development of regional energy markets in the West. The Energy Market Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will represent WRA at regional stakeholder and state-level policy forums, participate in stakeholder processes, summarize technical issues, and develop formal WRA policy positions. This position will be a part of the Regional Markets Team and will have the exciting opportunity to build on the existing advocacy efforts to expand the wholesale market for electricity in the West. The Energy Market Policy Analyst or Senior Policy Analyst will report to the Regional Markets Manager who oversees WRA’s regional energy markets activities out of the Salt Lake City office.
The Regional Markets team is part of WRA’s Clean Energy Program. The program works to reduce the environmental impacts of electricity production in the region by fostering a transition away from fossil-fueled resources towards renewable energy, energy efficiency, and other clean energy technologies, with a primary focus on decarbonization as a pathway to addressing climate change.
This position can based in any of WRA’s offices – Boulder, CO; Denver, CO; Santa Fe, NM; Phoenix, AZ; Salt Lake City, UT or Carson City, NV. Flexible work arrangements are available, with the option to work remotely two days a week. WRA employees are strongly encouraged to work from home during the COVID-19 pandemic..
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
POLICY DEVELOPMENT AND ADVOCACY
- Represent WRA at California Independent System Operator (CAISO), Southwest Power Pool (SPP), Northwest Power Pool (NWPP) and other regional stakeholder initiatives.
- Monitor stakeholder processes focused on relevant market design issues, state regulatory proceedings, and legislative proposals related to regional market expansion and assess opportunities to advance WRA’s policy priorities.
- Present technical concepts related to regional markets in a manner that is compelling, clear, and accessible to a variety of audiences.
- Work with the Regional Markets team to develop stakeholder comments and recommendations in a variety of forums, including CAISO and SPP stakeholder processes, EIM Governing Body meetings, regional meetings of state utility regulators, and state regulatory proceedings.
- In coordination with other members of the Clean Energy Program, assist in the development of WRA’s guiding strategic and policy objectives related to regional market engagement.
- Assist with guidance of outside expert and legal consultants.
- Engage and sustain relationships with partner entities, including conservation partners, electric utilities, energy developers, and consumer advocates.
- Coordinate with WRA Communications and Government Affairs teams to advance WRA strategies and messaging on regional market expansion in the West.
This position requires some travel to meetings and events, primarily in the Interior West (post COVID-19).
- Knowledge or understanding of electricity regulation, energy market or energy policy issues.
- Experience or professional degree in economics, electrical or power system engineering, public policy, or related disciplines.
- Basic familiarity with the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) and its market services, including the Western Energy Imbalance Market (EIM).
- Commitment to WRA’s diversity, equity and inclusion goals.
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills.
- Strong written and oral communication abilities.
- Comfort and skill in communicating technical issues at a level commensurate with a variety of audience types, including regulators, policymakers, utility management, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with a variety of stakeholders.
SENIOR POLICY ANALYST QUALIFICATIONS
To be considered for a Senior Policy Analyst role, the candidate should possess at least four of the following additional qualifications:
- Demonstrable experience in public policy, that involves working on electricity regulation, or energy policy, or electricity market expansion.
- Proficiency with grid modernization or transmission expansion issues as they pertain to regional markets.
- Understanding of market design issues relevant to cost-effective and reliable integration of high levels of renewable energy, such as: greenhouse gas tracking and accounting, security constrained economic dispatch, generator self-scheduling, transmission availability, transmission access charges, congestion revenue rights, resource participation, resource sufficiency tests, uplift payments, negative pricing, greenhouse gas accounting, and intertie scheduling.
- A demonstrated high level of skill as an oral advocate and public speaker in a variety of settings, such as working groups and conferences.
- Capable of independently managing multiple tasks with varying timelines.
- Experience testifying as an expert witness before state public utility commissions.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
This section is made up of skills that a candidate may come in with, and if not, may be trained on the job. They are not required and candidates who do not possess these skills yet, should not be discouraged from applying.
- Knowledge of the Southwest Power Pool (SPP) and its market services.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The salary range is $55,000-$75,000 for a Policy Analyst and $75,000-$105,000 for a Senior Policy Analyst; salary depends on relevant experience and new staff rarely start at the top of the range. WRA’s excellent benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) retirement plan, life & disability insurance, 3 weeks paid vacation leave, sick leave, parental leave, sabbatical leave after five years; and an RTD EcoPass for staff in the Denver/Boulder metro area. Position is full-time exempt.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: OPEN UNTIL FILLED, WITH PRIORITY REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS STARTING ON MONDAY, JUNE 21, 2021.
Apply here: https://westernresourceadvocates.org/careers/energy-market-policy-analyst-or-senior-policy-analyst/
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!