Deputy DirectorWashington, DC
Mighty Earth is accepting applications to join our team as a Deputy Director, a critical leadership role in our mission to secure a living planet.
As the Deputy Director, you will drive organizational development, managing senior staff, driving the strategic direction of our campaigns, and serving as a critical bridge between programmatic and operational work. You will play an important role in ensuring that our work achieves the outsized impact we seek, including by advancing our commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice.
As the Deputy Director, you will oversee a team of program leads who are driving initiatives such as our campaign to protect the Amazon rainforest and other climate-critical ecosystems, transform agriculture, decarbonize key industries in ways that advance the rights and livelihoods of Indigenous and local communities, and support a just economic transition.
Who we are:
Mighty Earth is a global advocacy organization working to defend a living planet. Our goal is to protect half of Earth for Nature and secure a climate that allows life to flourish.
We have played a leading role in persuading the world’s largest food and agriculture companies to adopt policies to eliminate deforestation, land-grabbing, slave and child labor, and other human rights abuse from the palm oil, chocolate, and rubber industries, and driven adoption of multi-billion-dollar shifts to clean energy. We are working to drive similar transformation in the meat industry, the largest agricultural driver of rainforest destruction and climate pollution. Through our campaigns, we seek to make significant progress to support impacted people around the world, especially Indigenous communities, communities of color and low-income communities.
Mighty Earth’s approach, team and the results of our work have been featured in Inside Philanthropy, Bloomberg, The New Republic, New York Times Magazine, The New York Times, and many other outlets.
As Mighty Earth’s Deputy Director, your responsibilities will include:
Organizational Leadership and Management
- Managing an international team providing day-to-day management of senior staff and consultants as well as support for longer-term leadership and development and effective campaign progress;
- Developing and implementing structures and processes that facilitate organization-wide information-sharing, communication, and transparency in decision making;
- Working closely with our Senior Director of Finance and Compliance to ensure that internal structures and processes align with best practices in nonprofit management;
- Work closely with the organization’s leadership to continue to build a culture that is driven, fun, supportive, collaborative, and committed to our values of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice (DEIJ).
- Guiding Mighty Earth’s campaigns major planning decisions, communications opportunities, and advocacy, bringing in the President & CEO for strategic involvement as needed;
- Coordinating Mighty Earth’s digital campaigning, communications, and research to advance programmatic and organizational strategy and goals;
- Serving as the organization’s bridge between programmatic priorities and operational implementation, ensuring the two are aligned.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Serving as a representative and spokesperson for Mighty Earth in meetings with strategic partners, corporate targets, and/or philanthropic supporters as needed;
- Supporting organizational, strategic, and project planning;
- Working with Senior Director of People and Culture, develop and oversee a process for ensuring DEIJ principles are integrated into Mighty Earth’s day-to-day work and long term strategy;
- Supporting the President & CEO in Board-level planning;
- Supporting the CEO and playing a role in fundraising and development as needed.
- You have at least 10 years of experience, with a successful background in nonprofit leadership and management.
- You have experience recruiting, training, and managing staff and facilitating across teams and initiatives, including programs, operations, communications, as well as DEIJ values.
- You have a commitment to protecting the environment and advancing a more just society.
- You have a commitment to and experience working with people from a variety of backgrounds, including underserved communities such as communities of color, low-income communities, members of the LGBTQ+ community, various religious backgrounds, and more.
- You have some experience in an issue advocacy campaigning or grassroots organizing setting.
- You are comfortable operating in a dynamic setting where changes in external factors like politics and economics, and there can be a need to pivot quickly.
- You are comfortable working with various internal and external stakeholders and can network and work in coalitions across diverse constituencies. You are comfortable working with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- You have familiarity with developing and implementing campaign strategy and plans and figuring out how to move decision makers.
- You are a strong writer and verbal communicator and can distill complicated information and make it more digestible content.
- English fluency is required.
- You have experience playing a role in implementing DEIJ initiatives.
- Additional language skills, including Portuguese, Spanish, or Chinese a plus, but not essential.
- You have experience in markets campaigning or influencing company executives.
- Expertise in deforestation and agricultural issues is a plus, but not required. We are open to candidates with experience in other issue areas such as human rights, democracy, or racial justice is a plus.
- You have a background in environmental justice.
- Familiarity with and connections in Latin America, Africa, Southeast Asia, or Europe is a plus, but not required.
More about our team:
Mighty Earth is made up of people from various backgrounds including people with background in non-profit organizations, election campaigns, government, the private sector, and legislative offices, at a range of experience levels. We pride ourselves on being a welcoming place for people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, parents, empty-nesters, and more.
This is a full-time position with a preference for candidates based in Washington, DC. We are open to candidates based in other U.S. locations, with a preference for eastern time zone locations. The position involves international travel. During the coronavirus pandemic, our staff just recently resumed travel in a more limited capacity. You will report to our CEO and work closely with our Senior Director of People and Culture, Senior Director of Finance and Compliance, and our Strategic Advisor.
Compensation and benefits:
The hiring salary range for this position is $128K – $150K, depending on experience. We have a generous benefits package including group health insurance, dental benefits, unlimited vacation time, paid holidays, and a 401(k) plan.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application online HERE as soon as possible. Include a thoughtful cover letter that speaks to our mission and demonstrates your writing abilities and also let us know where you heard about the job.
The position will remain posted until it is filled.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact Aliya at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be submitted through our application link and not sent to this email.
Interview process: Our interview process involves a phone interview, two video interviews, a candidate exercise, and reference calls for candidates advancing in our process. We have adjusted our interview process and are holding video interviews in place of in-person interviews during the pandemic.
Mighty Earth is an equal opportunity employer; we strictly prohibit discrimination against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity or expression and any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!