Senior Advisor - Policy Strategy & MeasuresArlington, VA
Since 1951, The Nature Conservancy (TNC) has been doing work you can believe in protecting the lands and waters that all life depends on.
The External Affairs Policy Strategy & Learning (PSL) team is responsible for building the internal enabling conditions for TNC’s policy and influence work to be as effective as possible by fully integrating policy and influence work into TNC’s strategic planning, measures and management and by providing training and resources to build policy and influence capacity across TNC.
The Sr. Advisor, Policy Strategy & Measures reports to the Director of the PSL team. They lead and implement TNC’s External Affairs (XA) program of work to develop, test, refine and apply methods for measuring policy progress and impact, building on the existing methodology developed by TNC’s Policy Measures Advisory Group (PMAG, a cross-departmental working group).
The Sr. Advisor, Policy Strategy & Measures will be responsible for applying PMAG methods across TNC by directly providing coaching, building and coordinating a cadre of policy measures coaches. They will also initiate and manage pilots to test the methodology, working with strategy teams both inside and outside of the External Affairs division. They will identify and analyze what is and is not working in the policy measures methodology and lead further development and refinement of the TNC policy measures methods and tools, working closely with the PSL Director. They will also be responsible for quality control in the application of the policy measures methodology. Quality control includes appropriate attention to diversity, equity, and inclusion considerations. In carrying out the above responsibilities, the Sr. Advisor, Policy Strategy & Measures will chair TNC’s Policy Measures Advisory Group and work closely with PSL’s Sr. Advisor for Strategy & Learning to create policy measures content for trainings and resources. They will coordinate closely with the External Affairs Business Advancement unit on how policy measures are captured in TNC’s tracking system (“The Hub”) and interact with the metrics lead in the office of the Chief Conservation Officer.
- May supervise administrative and/or professional staff with responsibility for performance management, training and development.
- Financial responsibility may include working within/managing a budget to complete projects, negotiating and contracting with vendors, assisting with budget development, and meeting fundraising targets.
- Responsible for meeting departmental strategic goals and objectives.
- Communicates professionally with a wide variety of people from different cultures.
- Prepares and presents project proposals to TNC leadership and potentially to private donors.
- Accountable to persuasively convey the purpose and value of policy measures to diverse groups across TNC including key audiences such as the Executive Leadership Team, Strategy Leads (Regions and Global Programs), Development, Science and External Affairs.
- May work in partnership with other organizations in a collaborative capacity on policy measures methods and tools.
- Ensures program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Ensures that the program complies with federal lobbying laws and regulations.
- Effectively directs and or participates in complex negotiations.
- Develops constructive and effective working relationships inside and outside the Conservancy.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, environmental policy, monitoring and evaluation or related field and 6 years of senior management level experience in policy, government relations, monitoring and evaluation, or equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Fluency in English.
- Project management experience including coordinating the work of other professionals inside and outside an organization.
- Experience in strategy development (including measures) and implementation.
- Experience with relationship building skills.
- Experience negotiating complex high profile or sensitive agreements.
- Experience with written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experience appreciated.
- Master’s degree appreciated
- International work experience preferred.
- Direct experience working with partners and government agencies.
- Experience presenting to and communicating with management-level individuals within an organization.
- Excellent team player with experience working in multi-disciplinary groups, using influence and interpersonal skills, listening, diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships with governments, corporations, partners, donors, volunteers, and all levels of staff.
- Experience conceiving and implementing strategic initiatives.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit application online HERE
Tell the employer you found this job at ENVIRONMENTALJOBS.COM!