Forest Preschool TeacherMount Kisco, NY
The Rewilding School connects both kids and adults to the natural world through hands-on natural living skills. Our schedule runs year-round including summer day programs, forest preschool, homeschool classes, afterschool classes, adult workshops, and birthday parties. Classes are taught through partnerships with land conservation organizations to a wide audience including families, preschoolers, school-age kids, teens, and adults.
We are looking for two passionate educators for our Forest Preschools in Croton and Mount Kisco. Forest Preschool Teachers create magic in the woods. Working with kids age 3-5, our teachers allow kids to safely explore the natural world on their own terms and build deep connections that last a lifetime.
Program Educators are the critical link that opens the doors to the outside for our program participants. Each educator gets to bring their creativity and passion to their classes while working outside in some of the most beautiful natural areas in the Hudson Valley. Summer Program Educators work 8am-4pm, Monday-Friday for 8 weeks in Croton-on Hudson and Mount Kisco, NY.
Preschool Teachers in particular have the ultimate freedom to tailor classes to kids’ needs and center social and emotional learning in the context of natural spaces. Each preschool session meets for 2.5 hours and there are both morning and afternoon sessions each day.
- Minimum 2 years experience working with youth in an outdoor setting either through summer camp, residential outdoor program, scouts or other organized program
- Minimum 2 years experience working with kids ages 3-5.
- Ability to lift 40lb child in case of emergency and carry 20lb of teaching gear over uneven terrain for a distance of 1 mile
- An abundance of compassion and understanding for children’s complex emotional and physical needs
- Strong passion for the natural world and the ability to share that passion with program participants
- First aid & CPR Certification, or ability to acquire it prior to the start date
- Ability to work effectively with co-workers and supervisors to achieve the goals of the program
- Ability to support parents and students through clear communication of children’s actions and needs during the program
- Working knowledge of New York State flora & fauna and ability to apply that knowledge through crafts and games
- Flexibility and the ability to deal with the unexpected changing nature of outdoor activities and children
- Be able to follow through with work commitments
- Prior experience in plant identification in the North East
- Prior experience with ancestral living skills of friction fire, knife safety, basket weaving, and shelter building
- Prior experience using "coyote mentoring" teaching models
- One or more of the following
- Musical ability (guitar, song, drums, etc)
- Artistic ability (pottery, painting, drawing, weaving,, etc)
- Experience in theater or storytelling
- Experience with team building and large group games
- Ensure the safety of all program participants
- Connect kids to the natural world, to each other, and to themselves through original nature-based activities
- Check in participants at the start of each program and make sure children get picked up by the appropriate adult at the end of the session
- Create a community where everyone is emotionally, physically, and socially safe
- Maintain an open and constructive dialogue with the Executive Director and with coworkers concerning the workings and progress of the program.
- Grow as a teacher and mentor through the development of new content, self-reflection and professional development workshops.
- Assist with standard duties including; inventory and maintenance of equipment and supplies, grounds maintenance, the gathering of craft supplies, and the preparation of program materials.
- Assist students with basic caretaking task such as opening snacks, helping them dress, and aiding in bathroom use
This Job is a good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more. If you believe your experience matches our requirements, please submit your resume for consideration.
- Salary Details: $15-$18 an hour
- Minimum Commitment: June 7th 2021-June 17th 2022, looking for long-term hire
- Time Commitment: 40 hours/week
- Schedule: 8 hour shift, Day shift, Monday to Friday
We require all instructors to wear masks during all programs. We will provide masks to instructors. We provide hand sanitizer and sanitizing solutions at each program site.
- Experience with Children: 2 years (Preferred)
- Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply through our website.